0:50 a.m. update: As of 10:45 a.m. Monday, Lake Travis had risen about two feet since the same time Saturday, according ot the Lower Colorado River Authority.
Lake Buchanan, meanwhile, is around the same level as it was Saturday morning.
Earlier: A day after Central Texas saw its most significant rainfall in more than three years, the region is poised to see more wet weather Monday and a potential risk for new flooding in the coming days.
Early Monday, scattered light showers are moving north across Central Texas could add another one-tenth inch to already overflowing rain gauges, the National Weather Service said.
Rain chances were at 30 percent Monday, the service said, and starting Tuesday, storms could produce heavy rainfall. By Tuesday night, rain chances will rise to 70 percent.
“There is a good chance for moderate to heavy rain from Tuesday afternoon into early Wednesday morning,” the service warned. The area could “likely receive one to two inches of rain and a few spots of up to 4 inches of rain.”
A boost in Pacific moisture thanks to Tropical Storm Octave, moving at 65 mph near the Mexican Pacific coast, combined with an approaching cold front due to arrive by Wednesday has boosted this week’s rain chances, said Pat McDonald, meteorologist for the service.
The cold front will also cause local temperatures to plummet.
By Wednesday, the high is slated to be 63, which would mark the lowest high temperature the region has seen in nearly seven months. That high was 61 posted in late March.
This weekend’s rains already boosted rivers and saturated grounds, so new heavy showers could produce more flooding quickly, the service warned Monday.
“A few showers today are probably not going to cause any problems,” McDonald said. “But Tuesday, with another two to four inches already on top of a saturated ground, we could see more flash flooding.”
The continued threat of rain comes after many Austin-area residents and repair crews spent Sunday recovering from damage dealt by the severe storms, which flooded some homes, triggered nearly a dozen water rescues and canceled the final day of the Austin City Limits Music Festival.
All low water crossings reported in Travis County during the storm were reopened by late Sunday. Austin Energy was reporting early Monday that virtually all of its outages for 6,000 customers seen during the height of the storm were all resolved.
This weekend’s rains were the most significant rainfall since Tropical Storm Hermine dumped 10 to 12 inches of rain across northern parts of Travis County and southern Williamson County in September 2010.
The weekend’s rain started around 10 p.m. Saturday, but picked up around midnight and fell relentlessly until mid-morning Sunday. Although rain had been predicted, the amount surprised forecasters.
Some areas reported rainfall totals of 10 inches or more Sunday, with flash flooding reported along normally dry creeks that damaged homes and triggered several dramatic vehicle rescues.
According to the LCRA, 3 to 10 inches fell in the Austin area, and about a foot fell at Barton Creek and Loop 360.
As of late Sunday, Lake Travis had risen about a foot, and Lake Buchanan had risen about an inch, an LCRA official said.
The heavy rains weren’t sufficient the bust the drought, however. For example, Lake Travis is still about 43 feet below its average level for this time of year.